The Second Coming – Incentive To Holy Living
Scripture associates the Second Coming of Christ with sanctification in seven aspects:
1. Repentance. “…Ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; and to wait for His Son from heaven…” (1 Thes. 1:9-10).
2. Hope. “For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?” (1 Thes. 2:19).
3. Blamelessness. “To the end He may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints” (1 Thes. 3:13).
4. Comfort. “Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words” (1 Thes. 4:17-18).
5. Sanctification. “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thes. 5:23).
6. Stability. “Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto Him, that ye be not soon shaken in mind…” (2 Thes. 2:1-2).
7. Patience. “And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ” (2 Thes. 3:5).
The study of the foregoing passages goes far to show that the Apostle Paul regarded the attitude of watchful waiting for the Second Coming of Christ as a practical sanctifying power – no foolish dream, but a real everyday power and incentive to a holy life.
– J. Townsend, from Life Indeed.