"Dedicated to strengthening and encouraging the Body of Christ."

Streams Of Living Water Flowing

By Andrew Gih

    Andrew Gih was a young Chinese brother who was deeply affected by a mighty move of God in Shanghai, China in 1925. Gih’s testimony of his coming to the Lord and his committal to God’s work is told as follows:

    In 1923 I first saw a copy of the Bible. I had gone to a mission school for the purpose of studying English. I consented to enroll in a Bible class simply because it was in English. Before long I was persuaded to stay to a revival meeting. There the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin and I was saved.

    Within two years the Lord definitely called me to preach. By that time I was remuneratively employed in the postal service with excellent prospects. My new purpose was bitterly opposed by my mother, a non-Christian then, and no wonder. She had early been left a widow. Only by unceasing toil day and night at spindle and loom did she manage to support her family. After all these years of hardship she was only beginning to enjoy the comfort of having a breadwinner in the family. So my call to preach came as a great blow to her, for she knew it meant a life of poverty. Her reproaches made my heart very sad. But the Lord’s call was clear. What ought I to do?

    In the midst of my perplexity and doubt I had this dream: returning home from work I heard my mother and sisters weeping. In the midst of the living room was a coffin. In amazement I stepped up to see who had died, and I saw myself in the coffin! When I awakened from that dream, my problem was solved. I would die to self and bear the cross. I gave up my job in the post office. It was not easy, but before long my mother was saved!

    One day I tramped through the drenching rain to keep a preaching appointment. Returning I had to wade through streets running knee-deep in water. My shoes were ruined; my feet cut and bleeding. The devil whispered, "Is it worthwhile?"

    But I remembered the cross and how glad I was to endure for Him. Instantly, there on the flooded street, the Holy Spirit filled my heart and I went on with joy unspeakable and full of glory.

    When the fire of God touched Bethel Mission in Shanghai, Gih was one of the young converts who went out with the missionary leader in evangelistic campaigns. In meetings held in South China, they experienced "glorious days" of God working with them, saving many souls. Four of the zealous young evangelists were so inspired to carry revival fire to all parts of China that they formed the Bethel Worldwide Evangelistic Band and pledged themselves to preach the Gospel in every province of China and beyond. The following is Gih’s account of the venturing forth of the "Bethel Band" into the north of China in February 1931:

    The first campaign of the new-fledged Bethel Worldwide Evangelistic Band was in Taimingfu, a city in the interior of Hopei Province. The meetings dragged on but nothing happened. There was no indication that the Holy Spirit was working in hearts. Our own hearts were bleeding.

    Then one of the Band members was led to give his testimony, telling the miracle of God’s grace in his own life. An altar call was given and the break came, scores kneeling at the mercy seat. One who resisted the Holy Spirit was seen to be as pale as death; he seemed positively ill. After a terrific struggle he yielded at the next meeting and his face was alight with glory. Another burdened one who had determined to commit suicide was grasped by the strong, loving hands of the Saviour and saved for a life of usefulness. The missionaries said that city had never seen the like.

    In Shantung our unknown little Band had the privilege of holding meetings in one of the greatest evangelical seminaries in China. The fire of the Holy Spirit fell and we could not close the services until midnight or later. One teacher was so full of joy after he had made things right with God that he just wanted to lead the students in praising the Lord. When finally the meeting dispersed, the students marched back to their dormitories singing. The very glory of God filled the place! A gifted Chinese physician and a nationally-known evangelist and Bible teacher were among those filled with the Holy Spirit and set aflame during those days.

    One old Christian woman had been much persecuted for her faith. One night after the meeting she was sleepless, the Holy Spirit convicting her of sin. She rose and knelt in prayer until midnight, pouring out her heart to God. While still on her knees she became aware of a crackling noise. Opening her door, she found her house in flames, ignited by her persecutors! The next night she came to the meeting with beaming face and gave a thank offering to the Lord for sparing her life! Home and belongings all in ashes, yet no word of complaint or recrimination, but a heart full of praise! Truly this is something the world knows nothing about!

    Next, the great northeastern provinces were laid on our hearts and we journeyed thither in September 1931…. Ahead of our schedule, unannounced and unknown, we arrived in Mukden. Meetings were hastily called. A meeting of 300 the first night soon grew to 1,500. The church could not hold the crowd, but the people were willing to stand outside the doors in the bitter cold to hear the message. At least 1,000 were saved or definitely blessed.

    God arranged our itinerary in a miraculous way! We left Mukden on the last through-train for North Manchuria. That very night the Japanese overturned the government and took control. We were called to a small church away on the border of Siberia. It was a three-day trip, an expensive journey with five members in the Band. Ought we to divide our forces? We were strongly impressed that we ought to keep together. The immediate political overturn proved that it was divine wisdom directing our path and keeping us out of trouble.

    On the way as we were waiting to change trains in a strange city, I was led by the Holy Spirit to call on the missionary there. I did not know him and had no business, but just felt I must take him greetings and tell him of our plans. Three Band members stayed at the railroad station while two of us went to call at the mission. The missionary was very cordial and accompanied us back to the station. We found that in our absence one member of the Band had been arrested and a crowd of police were surrounding the others!

    The authorities couldn’t understand why young fellows would come so far to preach in such troublous times, especially when they had no promise of remuneration! They refused to believe that we were the Bethel Band and would not release our brothers until we could prove our identity. A sorry plight! But the Lord had provided for this very situation! Our new missionary friend went to police headquarters with us, vouched for our identity and guaranteed our good behaviour! "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits!" (Psa. 103:2).

    We had no more than reached the far North than rail communications were broken. God shut us up there for nearly two months, working in small places. It was His way of keeping us out of danger. We frequently had four meetings a day. In one town the presence of God so saturated the room that people would rush in and fall on their knees crying for forgiveness of sin before ever the sermon was preached! It seemed as if the Lord Himself was pressing them down and they could not resist.

    Finally the way opened for us to start south again. But it was impossible to notify the mission that had invited us, either by letter or telegram. So we went by faith. When we presented ourselves at the door of his home the missionary couldn’t believe that we were the Bethel Band and had actually gotten through. Soldiers and guards were everywhere and no Chinese were being permitted to enter or leave the city. Yet we were neither searched nor questioned! Oh, the timeliness of our God! Unknown to us, the League of Nations Commission was expected that very day, so the military were trying to simulate a normal peacetime appearance!

    On our return we stopped two days at Mukden and were greatly heartened to see the way the new believers were standing true. The missionaries there had not approved of our meetings. They were not convinced that the conversions were real, but thought it all emotion. However, when the trouble came and the city was in terror, these converts calmly trusted God and by their lives testified to His saving power. Multitudes lost everything and many were killed, but the new believers were kept "under His wings."

    The missionaries were honest enough to admit that this was the work of God. On our return a missionary nurse testified to the wonderful change that had taken place in the whole atmosphere of the hospital. And she asked to entertain us in her home.

    Our final Manchurian campaign was in Dairen. The Lord had wonderfully supplied and blessed all the way. However, we didn’t have sufficient funds for the long journey back to Shanghai. "But God!" An owner of a steamship company was converted in one of our last meetings. Unaware of our need, just out of joy and gratitude to the Lord, he presented us with first-class steamship tickets to Shanghai! How God’s unfailing faithfulness should encourage our hesitant faith!...

    It soon became evident that the World Band was not sufficient to meet the many opportunities that were coming. The news of the sweeping revivals in one station after another reached other missions. Often the entire student body in mission high schools were won for Jesus through the Band, where all loving effort on the part of missionaries and teachers had been repulsed. These high school students organized their own bands pledged to city-wide personal evangelism and the reviving kept spreading.

    One missionary summed up the meetings in her city in this way: "What wonders God hath wrought! We are still filled with amazement at the miracles our eyes have seen. For many barren years we have longed and prayed for reviving! Now that it has been poured out we are pressed in spirit for believers everywhere, yearning that they might receive the unspeakable blessing we have enjoyed. Streams of living water are flowing and daily we hear and see new life springing up. None of us has ever seen anything like it. We can scarcely restrain ourselves from shouting, ‘Praise the Lord!’"

    – Taken from Launch Out Into The Deep by Andrew Gih.