Biblical Prayers For Lost Loved Ones
By Kim Butts
When we consider family and friends who are living outside of a relationship with Jesus, it is sometimes difficult to know how to pray effectively without giving up. Often, it is not enough to proclaim the message to those we love. There are forces of darkness working overtime to keep people from hearing and responding to the Gospel. The salvation of people is a spiritual battle, but God has given us spiritual weapons with which to fight and make a way for those we love to enter the Kingdom of God.
Here are nine biblical ways to pray for lost people we care deeply about:
1. Believe that their salvation is possible. “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, ‘Who then can be saved?’ Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God’” (Mark 10:25-27).
Prayer: Lord, I believe that ______’s salvation is possible!
2. Intercede for them daily – do not give up! “I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim. 2:1-4).
Prayer: Lord, I bring ______ to Your throne! Help me remember to let heaven hear his/her name every day!
3. Ask God to draw them to Himself. “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:44).
Prayer: Father, draw ______ to Yourself so that he/she can hear and believe the Gospel of Christ.
4. Pray for the Holy Spirit to convict unbelievers concerning sin, righteousness and judgment. “When He comes, He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment” (John 16:8).
Prayer: Lord, please convict ______ of sin and help them to recognize that righteousness comes only through Jesus Christ.
5. Ask God to remove the veil that blinds the minds of unbelievers. “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God” (2 Cor. 4:4).
Prayer: Father, please remove the veil that blinds ______’s mind. Do whatever You need to do to get his/her attention.
6. Know that you have the authority to demolish strongholds. “The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds” (2 Cor. 10:4).
Prayer: Lord, I pray in the powerful name of Jesus that You will defeat the work of Satan in ______’s life!
7. Ask God for good soil. “But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown” (Matt. 13:23).
Prayer: Father, please help the Gospel to fall on good soil in ______’s heart so that he/she will hear the Word and understand it!
8. Yield to the will of God. “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow” (1 Cor. 3:6-7).
Prayer: Father, teach me, as I pray, to yield to Your plans and purposes for ______ instead of my own.
9. Praise God for His victory over the power of the enemy. “You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob. Through You we push back our enemies; through Your name we trample our foes. I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but You give us victory over our enemies, You put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise Your name forever” (Psa. 44:4-8).
Prayer: Father, we praise You, that in the name of Jesus You will have the victory in ______’s life.
– Used by permission. © 2020 Harvest Prayer Ministries.